Index > Authors> Mantus_International> 4 JOB HUNTING MYTHS THAT SIMPLY AREN'T TRUE

4 JOB HUNTING MYTHS THAT SIMPLY AREN'T TRUE

As every job seeker is only too aware, the job market isn’t great at the moment. With continued reports of unemployment being at record highs, it is easy to feel disheartened and hopeless if you’re looking for a job.

Below I listed some of the most common myths that dispirited and discouraged people out of work often believe — and made an attempt to dispel those myths. The most important thing is to remain positive!

The Economy is in Recession, So There Are Less Jobs and Too Much Competition

The economy may be struggling at the moment, but that doesn’t mean it’s time to give up hope. Agreed, more people are applying for every job advertised – recruiters will often receive hundreds of resumes for one job position – but this doesn’t necessarily mean the competition will be better than you.

The majority of applications will be unsuited for the position, from people who are simply firing out resumes left, right, and center in the hope of improving the probability of being hired. If you are applying for realistic jobs you have the required skills for, and if you are showcasing these skills to the best of your ability by putting the time and effort into every application, there is no reason you won’t be considered. You have a better chance than you might think. And you will have a much greater chance of getting the job if you apply than if you do nothing.

It’s All About the Resume

Of course having a strong resume is very important, but it shouldn’t be the only weapon in your arsenal when job hunting. Spending all your time editing and fiddling with your resume could result in overdoing it. Of course you should tailor it to every job application, but there are many other things you could be doing when trying to secure a job.

About 20 percent of your time should be spent revising your resume. The other 80 percent should be spent networking, volunteering in the relevant job sector, expanding your skills, and making connections with valuable people. All these factors will increase your employability and the likelihood of finding a job.

A successful job search strategy is social. Spending all your time at the computer filling in online application after online application may in fact be counterproductive. A lot of job roles are filled through personal recommendations, and some vacancies are not advertised on job sites but found out about through word-of-mouth.

I Need to Decide What I Want to Do for the Rest of My Life Before I Make a Career Choice

Finding a career and sticking to it for the rest of your working life is a very outdated idea. These days, most people have the attitude that “every job is temporary”. Most people have between seven and 10 jobs throughout their working life now, and having a variety of previous jobs no longer indicates your indecisiveness but rather your adaptability and showcases a variety of skills. It’s never too late to change your mind, and any job experience can be beneficial when looking to change career paths.

Employers Are Only Looking for Graduates They Can Train Up – I’ve Missed the Boat

Whilst there are of course some graduate schemes that only accept people up to two years after they finish college, employers are increasingly looking for people who have more experiences under their belt than simply spending three years writing essays and getting drunk. If you weren’t in a rush to get your career started after college, consider your experiences since graduating as valuable to the employer.

If you went travelling, you weren’t just lounging around in the sunshine on various beaches — you were gaining independence, expanding your world view, gaining cultural values and life experiences. If you worked in a menial job, you have learned the value of hard work and know how to follow instructions. Every experience you have had has helped to build your character, and at the end of the day, the employer is looking for someone well rounded; your worldliness might actually be more desirable than a fresh-faced youngster straight out of the classroom.

By Olivia Lazenby

---------------------------------------------------

If you are interested in our articles, please add us into your Wechat friend list. To find us, just search "Mantus" in the "public account" of Wechat or scan our 2-dimensional bar code below.

---------------------------------------------------