Index > Authors> 华龙网HelloChongqing> What is old Chongqing?

What is old Chongqing?

As a rapidly developing inland city in West China, Chongqing has been seeing changes with each passing day. However, as you have gotten used to the modern and busy Chongqing now, how can you find marks of old Chongqing?

1
Shibati (Eighteen Stairs)
Chongqing is divided into the upper half city and the lower half city, and Shibaqi located in Yuzhong District's Jiaochangkou is an old street leading from the upper half city (mountain top) to the lower half city (mountain foot).
Now, most parts of Shibati have been demolished. However, in the past, with a large number of ordinary citizens living there, the civil life on the street was strong with ear cleaners, pedicurists, carpenters, tailors, sesame-seed cake sellers, needle and thread seller, mahjong players, and bangbang (porter with a bamboo stick) in large quantities crowded on the street. Shibati is just the true portrayal of the life of old Chongqing citizens.
2
Shancheng (Mountain City) Third Footpath
There are several Shancheng footpaths in Chongqing, but one can best reflect Chongqing's characteristic of "papo (climbing) slopes shangkan (ascending stairs)". It has many scenic spots with unique old Chongqing style such as Kangjiantang, Puti (Bodhi) Jingang (Vajra) Pagoda, No. 1 Water Plant Tower, Ren Ai Tang, Shikumen, and Shanchengxiang along the way. However, what is the most praised is the gallery road built on the cliff where one can overlook the Yangtze River Bridge on the city balcony.
3
Ancient city gates
Chongqing has 17 city gates, nine are open while eight are closed, which symbolizes jiugong (Nine Palace) bagua (Eight Trigrams). They were established in the 4th year of Hongwu Reign of Emperor Taizu of Ming Dynasty (1371) when commander Dai Ding built stone walls on former sites. It was not until 1927 when Chongqing was making preparations for the establishment of the city, it was decided to build roads and wide wharfs that gates such as Chaotian, Taiping, Nanji, and Tongyuan were abandoned. These 17 city gates of Chongqing had continued to be used for 556 years.
4
River-crossing cableway
Nothing can be more suitable than the cross-river cableway to interpret the exterior symbol of Chongqing. On the cableway, one can see high-rise buildings, the Yangtze River and areas such as Jiangbei. With the rolling water of the Yangtze River running towards the east only tens of metres under the cable car system, it is just like ascending a height and looking in the distance that makes one enjoy ease of mind.
5
Baixiang Street
Baixiang Street is a relatively old street lying between Wanglongmen and Taipingmen, and was once glorious and prosperous. In one direction of the street were relatively prosperous main streets in the lower half of the city that were close to Taipingmen Wharf, which was convenient for boats to berth. What's more, it was close to the yamen (prefecture government), and county government.
The street has a relatively profound historical origin of culture: No. 15, Baixiang Street was the former site of "Yubao" sponsored by Song Yuren in 1897 and the "Xinshubao" Newspaper Office with Xiao Churu being the editor in chief in 1924. In 1938, Lao She moved to Xinshubao Office on Baijiang Street. In 1922, Chen Yi was the editor in chief of “Xinshubao” and took a group photo with his colleague in front of the site on Baixiang Street.
6
Danzishi Old Street
Danzishi, Chaotian, and Jiangbeicheng (three banks and two rivers) face each other across the river and formed a wharf over two hundred years ago, attracting Chongqing's earliest entrepreneurs to settle down and set up factories there. With the entering of outside invading powers, some foreign merchants opened enterprises such as foreign firms and warehouses, making Danzishi gradually prosper and become Chongqing's earliest industrial area.
During the Anti-Japanese War period, since the urban area had suffered the bombing of Japanese aircraft, citizens flocked to the area and set up sheds and houses to take refuge and make a living. After Japan surrendered, they stayed in the area, built houses, and settled down, thus gradually forming a street market. It was not until in the 1950s when Danzishi-Haitangxi Road was completed and opened to traffic and new streets and squares were successively built, creating a prosperous River South wharf area.